Unit 8 Quiz#2
1. The electric field strength a distance of 1 meter from the Van de Graaf generator is 8 N/C. The electric field strength a distance of 2 meters from the generator is _________.
2. A balloon has an excess charge of 2.0 x 10-6 C. When placed a distance of 1 meter from a Van de Graaf generator, the balloon expereinces an electric field of 8 N/C. If a balloon with an excess charge of 4.0 x 10-6 C is placed at the same location, then it will experience an electric field of
3. Two charged objects (A and B), separated by a distance of 0.5 meter, create an electric field which can be represented by the following pattern of electric field lines. These electric field lines indicate that
4. The electrical force on a 2 C charge is 60 N if it is placed 0.5 m from a Van de Graaf generator. What is the value of the electric field at the place where the charge is located?
5. An oil drop has a negative charge of 8.0 x 10-19 C How many excess electrons does the oil drop have
6. A Joule/Coulomb is equivalent to
7. The electric field between two oppositely-charged parallel plates is
9. Lightning rods are placed upon homes in order to discharge built-up static charge from clouds during electrical storms. The clouds discharge their "electricity" to the lightning rods because the electric fields around lightning rods
10. An electric lamp is connected to a 24 Volt battery. The battery establishes a difference in electric potential between the positive and negative terminal. How much work is done by 2 Coulombs of charge as it flows through the battery?
11. Which one of the following three sets of data illustrate an inverse square relation between the two measured quantities?
12. Measurements show that there is an electric field surrounding the Earth. Its magnitude is about 100 N/C at the Earth's surface and it points inward toward the center of the Earth. From this information, state whether the Earth is positively or negatively charged. Explain your answer using complete sentences.
13. A configuration of three charges is shown below. Demonstrate your understanding of electric fields by drawing the electric field lines for this configuration. Place arrows on each of the field lines to indicate their direction. There must be at least four field lines for each of the three charges.
14. Marcus Tardee is late for school due to a dead battery. Marcus recharges the dead 12.0 volt battery by sending 2.8 x 104 C of charge through the terminals. How much potential energy must James store in the car battery to make it fully charged? PSYW
An oil drop having a charge of 8.0 x 10-19 C is suspended between two charged parallel plates. The plates are separated by a distance of 8.0 mm, and there is a potential difference of 1200 V between the plates. What is the weight of the suspended oil drop? PSYW
© Tom Henderson, 1996-1998
Last updated on