Unit 4 Quiz#1
You may write on (and all over) this quiz; it is especially helpful if you write your name on this page. Answer the multiple choice questions on the Scantron sheet. Solve the last problem on this quiz, showing all your work.
1. Momentum may be expressed in
2. If the direction of the velocity of an object is west, the direction of the momentum of the object is
3. An object is brought to rest by a constant force. Which factor other than the mass and velocity of the object must be known in order to determine the magnitude of the force required to stop the object?
4. If an unbalanced force of 6 N acts on an object for 2 seconds, the change in momentum is
5. A 15-newton force acts on an object in a direction due east for 3.0 seconds. What will be the change in momentum of the object?
6. An unbalanced force of 30 N acts on a 2.0-kg mass for 3.0 seconds. The mass undergoes a change in momentum of
7. A body of mass 5.0 kg is moving on a smooth surface with a velocity of 6.0 m/s to the right. A constant force is applied for 3.0 s, giving the body a final velocity of 12 m/s to the left. The applied force was
8. A 1-kg ball hits a surface perpendicularly with a speed of 3 meters per second and bounces back with a speed of 2 meters per second. The ball undergoes a change in momentum of
9. A 1.0-kilogram object falls freely from rest. The magnitude of its momentum after one second of fall is
Use the following diagram to answer questions #10 and #11.
10. In the positions shown in the diagrams, how does the momentum of object A compare with the momentum of object B?
11. At the top of the hill, the force of gravity on A, compared with that on B, will be
12. Three books, X, Y, and Z, rest on a table as shown in the diagram. The weight of each book is indicated. The net or unbalanced force acting on book Y is
Use the following diagram to answer questions #13 - #16. The diagram shows the velocity of a 1,500- kilogram car during a 20-second time interval.
13. The impulse applied to the car during time interval AB is
14. During which time interval is the acceleration of the car the greatest?
15. During which time interval is the force acting upon the car directed opposite the car's motion?
16. During which time interval are the forces acting upon the car balanced?
17. A rocket cannot accelerate in outer space because ...
18. Miles Tugo is driving down the highway and a bug spatters into the windshield. Which experiences the greatest force?
19. Paul deTrigga fires a rifle. The rifle recoils from firing the bullet. The acceleration of the rifle's recoil is small because the
20. In order to catch a ball, a baseball player moves his or her hand backward in the direction of the ball's motion. Doing this reduces the force of impact on the player's hand because
21. A karate expert executes a swift blow and severs a cement block with her or his bare hand. The
SHOW ALL YOUR WORK FOR THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM:
22. Jocko the clown, who has a mass of 75.0 kg and stands at rest on the ice, catches a 25.0-kg ball that is thrown to him at 15.0 km/hr. Jocko catches the ball and slides across the ice after the "collision". How fast does Jocko (and the ball) move across the ice after the collision?
© Tom Henderson, 1996-1998
Last updated on