Unit 1 163 Your Turn Solutions
a. On average, the object traveled 40 metes for every hour.
- b. On average, the object traveled 20 metes for every hour.
- a. On a position vs. time graph, the slope represents
velocity. Since the slope of the graph is constant, the motion
represents a constant velocity.
- b. The slope represents velocity.
- a. Runner A is ahead of runner B at the start.
- b. Runner B's slope is greater than runner's A slope.
Therefore, runner B is faster than runner A because in a position
vs. time graph, slope equals velocity.
- a. In a velocity vs. time graph, the slope represents
acceleration. Since, graph IV has a constant slope, it represents
a constant acceleration.
- b. The area under the curve represents the distance traveled.
This is because the area is equal to velocity (y-axis) times time
(x-axis). Then when you multiply them, the second units cancel
leaving you with meters.
- a. Since the slope is constant, the velocity is increasing at
a constant rate.
- b. The slope of the graph represents acceleration. So then
find the slope of the graph, which is So plug in (40m/s-10m/s)/(5s-0s)
and you get 6m/s/s.
- c. At zero the velocity is 10m/s. At 1s the velocity is 16
m/s. At 2s the velocity is 22 m/s.
- d. Determine the area under the curve by using the following
- a. The hand moves slightly upwards, then rapidly accelerates
downward towards the peice of wood.
- b. The acceleration would be negitive because when you find
the slope of the velocity vs. time graph, you get acceleration. So
acceleration is going to be negitive because the negitive
velocities dividedby the positve time gives you a negitive number
South Physics Team -
Suzanne Webb &
4000 West Lake Ave
Glenview, IL 60025 - 1200
Page Maintained by: Brian Wegley
Last Updated: August 28, 1997